Last night, as I was getting ready to wrap up the day, the 4th of July that is…and head to bed, I said the following to my best friend. “Whew, what a day. What a weekend. I can’t wait to get back to work tomorrow.” My friend looked at me like I was out of my mind (I get that a lot) and said, “You know you are probably about the only person in the world who feels that way.” Well, I know I’m not the only person, but I do know I’m in the minority. And I’m on a mission to change that!
Listen, I’m all for weekends, holidays, & vacations, but I’m even more for loving every single day!
(If you don’t have a lot of time, make sure you hit the Top Ten List below for some life changing tips!)
First, let me just clarify what I mean by that dirty little word “work.” My definition of work is time when I am free to engage in my passions with lots of action & creativitiy with the intention of providing or being a part of a great service, product, or transformation. And in return I receive one if not all of the following: joy, meaning, and income.
Yeah, seriously, that’s how “work” is supposed to be. Here’s my dream…bare with me…it gets even more ridiculous.
I dream of a time when we define our days as “passion days” and “rejuvenation days.” Yep, still serious. Passion days are the days when we are immersed in meaning, growth, productivity, purpose, and are actively engaged in activity that generates cash flow, service, and creativity. And rejuvenation days are when we intentionally set slower paces, rest more, sleep more, take a break from goals and achieving, meditate more, do yoga, read, run, bike or whatever activity or inactivity that is calming, restful and refuels our spirit.
Ok, so yeah…we might not ever get around to the lingo of asking someone at the water cooler, “so how was your rejuvenation?” or saying “have a good day with your passions”…. but I think it’s possible and it’s time for many more people to move away from viewing work as a “grind” or time that must be put in just to pay the bills. It’s time to release the “rat race and living for the weekend” kind of mentality and way of living. Life is too short folks. And guess what else…life is meant to be easy and fun. Not just for a few select, but for you, for me, for all of us.
I recently came across something very sad to me. My Dad retired (a word I think needs to be “retired” but that’s another note!) last week at the age of 64. One of the well-meaning cards he received read, “Congratulations. Now your life is really your own.” Yikes! I mean really!? Should we be giving “congratulations” to someone who gets to start living the life they want at 64. Better late than never I guess. But, do we have to wait until “later” to start living the way we really want? Don’t spend too much time on that question. Here’s the answer, “NO, we don’t!” Maybe it’s just me, but that feels like a mighty high price to pay.
This is your life. If you want it to be different, it is up to you!. No one is going to come along and drop your dream life in your lap. You’ve got to make a decision and go for it!
It is my mission and passion to help others create a life that freaking rocks!
So here is a TOP TEN list to get you started thinking in that direction. Warning: If you choose to really engage these principles…watch out…your life will get EXCEEDINGLY more fun!
1) If you are living for the weekends or for some other time in the future, it’s time to STOP, reevaluate, and make a change. Yes, now! Like freaking right now!
2) If you’ve never had anyone say to you, “You’re out of your mind!” then you might want to step up your game a bit.
3) The more people that don’t “get you” the better you should feel. You are getting so close my friend! A completely authentic, passion filled, fun, exciting life is right at your finger tips! Woo-hoo!
4) Learn to embrace the ridiculous…the unbelievable…the silly…it’s where GREATNESS is born.
5) Go for it. Just go. The time will never be right. You will never have enough money. You will never be ready. Just LEAP.
6) Catch yourself every time you hear yourself begin to say, “I can’t” and instead say “I choose…”
7) Delete “I’d love to, BUT….” from your vocabulary.
8) Think less. Feel more.
9) Be YOU.
10) Say “I love….” a lot more often!!!! I love reading! I love biking! I love those mountains! I love a blue sky! I love this day! I love my body! I love the smell of rain! Give more love, feel more love…it has the highest vibration and is the most powerful way to manifest the life of your dreams!
Here’s to freedom, adventure, passion, love, and living a life that makes you want to jump out of bed every day! A life that is all your own!